When you first move into university, you will spend the first week eating take-outs! I guarantee you will never want to see a pizza for a long while past September! (Unless it is homemade pizza, which I recommend trying to make at least once!)
So, instead of living off of pasta and cheese like I did for the first two months, (Still suffering nightmares as a result!) it is best to have a short grocery list to rely on in a pinch, which will help save you money!
This blog is full of tips to help you to save money during your grocery shop!
To help you save money at university, I have written a short, simple food list for you to buy, that should last you a week! I have also included some meal ideas which you can easily throw together if you run out of ideas, or have some unexpected guests, for instance.
Following on from this, I have also added some ideas for stuff you will need monthly/every few months that you need. I recommend you buy things like pasta in bulk! You can get a really big bag for a couple of pounds, which will do you for at least a few months!
List of groceries
- Eggs (Free range!)
- Taco shells
- Sandwich fillers X2 or deli meat
- Fruit – Bananas are great for studying and slow release energy!
- Stir fry noodles
- Stir fry veg
- Sir fry sauce
- A frozen pizza
- 2X microwave meals! (Not the absolute healthiest, but great if you don’t have a lot of time!)
- Pasta sauce
- Fajita sauce
- Snacks! Buy yourself some biscuits or crisps!
- Large tortilla wraps
Keep in mind that this is a very basic list, to fit a tight budget and save the optimal amount of money! It provides lunch for 7 days and dinner for 7 days if you utilise leftovers.
So, if you buy everything on the list, there are a few options for meals. For lunches, consider sandwiches for some days, and perhaps salad for the other days. Another option you will have is a quesadilla for lunch! This will also give you an option to batch cook two of your lunches to put into tubs for the freezer!
Following on from the ingredients on the list, here are some dinner options you will have:
- Pasta bolognese (Using the pasta from the monthly shopping list!)
- Leftovers from the bolognese from the night before!
- A chicken stir fry (Using the stir fry veg, noodles, sauce and chicken!)
- Leftovers from the stir fry in a quesadilla
- An omelette (Using the eggs and cheese. Perhaps even some deli meat!)
- A frozen pizza (Or a fresh one if you have space in the fridge!)
- Taco’s (Using the taco shells, half of the mince, cheese and salad!)
This entire shopping list will cost around £30 per week from a well known supermarket. This can be lowered further by eating more leftovers, and shopping own brand! There are many supermarkets which have own brand which tastes great, and is substantially cheaper, helping you to save money!
List of groceries you should always have in your cupboards.
- Cooking oil
- Soup. Tomato and chicken are good go-to’s
- Sauces such as brown and tomato
- Tea bags
- Diluting juice
- Pasta sauce
For more money saving tips check out The best ways to save money at university!
Lead writer for The Lazzzy Student x